The Review and Scotiabank recognizes the important role that women play in all aspects of life and the challenges that many women face in achieving higher education. In order to help ten young women to achieve greatness through higher learning, The Review has chosen to reserve a portion of the proceeds from our 2017 Yes, Women Can! event, to create ten, $500 scholarships for young women.
Yes, Women Can!, is an event hosted by The Review and it is scheduled to take place on Sunday, April 9, 2017, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Vankleek Hill Community Centre.
The selected recipient schools for these scholarships are as follows:
Vankleek Hill Collegiate Institute, Vankleek Hill, ON
École secondaire catholique régionale de Hawkesbury, Hawkesbury, ON
École publique Le Sommet, Hawkesbury, ON
Glengarry District High School, Alexandria, ON
École secondaire catholique Le Relais, Alexandria, ON
École secondaire catholique de Plantagenet, Plantagenet, ON
St. Francis Xavier Catholic High School, Hammmond, ON
Laurentian Regional High School, Lachute, QC
Ecole Polyvalente Lavigne, Lachute
In order to qualify for this scholarship, you, as a student, must meet the following criteria:
• You must be enrolled in one of the seven selected schools.
• You must be graduating in 2017 and intend to attend College, University, or trade school in the fall session of 2017
• You must fill out this application form, which will be available in the administration offices of the participating schools and be posted online at www.yeswomencan.ca. It is also available at The Review offices in Vankleek Hill, ON.
• All application forms must be submitted to the administration department of the participating schools, or directly to The Review no later than Friday, March 24, 2017, by noon.
• Each of the ten scholarships will be presented to young women pursuing post-secondary studies in one of the following areas: architecture, business, communications, engineering, journalism, math, science, social sciences, the arts or the environment. Other areas of study may also be considered.
• All students who apply for this scholarship are asked to complete a 250-500 word essay in either English or in French, detailing their perseverance in completing high school and the obstacles they have overcome during the course of their studies.
We encourage students to explain how this bursary will help them, how they intend to use it and to tell us a little bit about the career they hope to pursue following graduation. If you are involved in your community, in your school or in helping others, we want to know.
• The Review will be working with the staff at the participating schools to select the scholarship recipients. The recipients of these scholarships will be invited to attend Yes, Women Can! on April 9 and we will give them free passes to attend the event with their mothers, sisters and grand-mothers.
• At Yes, Women Can! we will formally announce the names of the scholarship recipients and the scholarships themselves will be presented at the graduation ceremonies for each of the participating schools.
To apply, students must include this form, as well as their 250-500 word essay, in either English or French. This application must be handed in no later than March 24, 2017, by noon.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Irene at The Review. Tel. 1.877.678.3327 / 613-678-3327 extension 1002 or email [email protected]